Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Error in Deploying/Running Big Size SQL Server Reports

Error in Deploying/Running Big Size SQL Server Reports


There was an exception running the extensions specified in the config file. ---> Maximum request length exceeded.


I Faced this problem when I was working on a project in ASP.NET 2.0, SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server Reporting Services. I created several reports using the tool all was working fine after deploying on the Reporting Server. One report was very big and heavy, its size is almost 3+ MB. At the time of deploying and running it gives this error and it is related to the web.config settings in your Reporting Services application. By default every ASP.NET application has a 4 MB limit.

It looks like this is controlled by a property setting in the node of the “web.config” for the Report Server. In my local installation of SQL Server Reporting Services 2005, the “web.config” is in the “C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.3\Reporting Services\ReportServer” folder.



I added the “maxRequestLength” attribute (specified in kilobytes) and set it to handle up to approximately 10mb transfers.



Then, I reset IIS, and restarted Reporting Services.

After doing all this I was able to successfully publish 5+ MB “myReport.rdl” to a my Reports folder on the Report Server without any error.


No comments: