1. Register is a
(a) Set of capacitors used to register input instructions in a digital computer
(b) Set of paper tapes and cards put in a file
(c) Temporary storage unit within the CPU having dedicated or general purpose use
(d) part of the auxiliary memory
(e) device to convert current signal into voltage signal
2. Errors in computer results could be due to
(a) encoding of data (b) transmission of data
(c) manipulation of data (d) all of the above
(e) none of above
3. Terminal is a
(a) device used to give supply to a computer
(b) Point at which data may leave or enter the computer
(c) ending point in a program
(d) point where wires are interconnected
(e) an input/output device
4. A computer programmer
(a) enters data into computer
(b) writes programs
(c) changes flow chart into instructions
(d) provides solutions to complex problems
(e) does total planning and thinking for a computer
5.Pickup wrong definition
(a) Off line - is a system peripheral equipment not controlled by CPU
(b) Online - is system in which peripheral equipment is in direct contact with CPU
(c) Peripherals - are hardware under the control of CPU, like punched card readers, tapes, drums, disk, output devices
(d) PL/I is the acronym Peripheral Listing /Index
(e) Program or routine is a set sequence of instructions given to computer for problem solving
6. When a CD (Compact Disc used in audio and Video system) is seen in sunlight, rainbow like colours are seen. This can be explained on the basis of phenomenon of
(a) reflection and diffraction
(b) reflection and transmission
(c) diffraction and transmission
(d) refraction, diffraction and transmission
(e) none of these
Ans (d) Internet is an inter-networking of information from one part of the network to any other provided the information is packed according to certain conventions
7. For reproducing sound, a CD (Compact Disc) audio player uses a
(a) quartz crystal
(b) titanium needle
(c) laser beam
(d) barium titanium ceramic
(e) none of these
Ans (c) LASER stands for Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation
8. The memory of a computer is commonly expressed in terms of Kilobytes or Megabytes. A byte is made up of
(a) eight decimal digits (b) eight binary digits
(c) two binary digits (d) two decimal digits (e) none of these
Ans (b) A byte consists of 8 bits—8 binary digits
9. Which of the following circuit is used as a ‘Memory device’ in computers?
(a) Rectifier (b) Flip-Flop (c) Comparator (d) Attenuator (e) none of these
Ans (b) Flip-flop refers to an electronic component which can adopt one of two possible states -0 or 1. It acts as an electronic switch which gets changed its state when input signals are received
10. Which is/are the main provisions of Information Technology (IT) Act, 2000?
(a) Legal recognition to digital signatures and documents.
(b) Finalisation of contracts through electronic media.
(c) Making hacking with computer system an office.
(d) All of the above
11. Consider the following statements about Internet facility:
I. It serves as the largest one-line information system.
II. It provides the most dependable and latest mode for sending E-mail.
III. Recurring expenditure on communication E-mail is very high.
IV. It is often misused and has triggered cyber-crimes.
Which of these statements are correct?
(a) I, II and IV (b) I and IV (c) II, III and IV (d) II and III
12. The computer device primarily used to provide hard copy is the
(a) CRT (b) Line Printer (c) Computer Console (d) Card Reader
13. The unit of hardware, which an operator uses to monitor computer processing, is the
(a) Card Reader (b) CPU (c) Line Printer (d) Console
14. Computers can be classified in which of the following hierarchical orders?
(a) PC, Large, Super Micro, Super Computer
(b) Super Micro, PC, Large, Super Computer
(c) PC, Super Micro, Large, Super Computer
(d) Large, Super Micro, Super Computer, PC
15. Which one of the following is a stored program machine?
(a) Micro-processor (b) Calculator
(c) Analog-computer (d) Micro-computer
16. First generation computer systems used
(a) Transistors (b) Vacuum tubes
(c) Magnetic cores (d) Silicon chips
17. Transistors are associated with which computer system?
(a) First generation (b) Fifth generation
(c) Second generation (d) None of these
18. Charles Babbage invented
(a) ENIAC (b) Difference engine (c) Electronic computer (d) Punched card
19. Who wrote the book ‘Computer Liberation and Dream Machine’, the first book on personal computers?
(a) John McCarthy (b) Ted Nelson (c) Niklaus Wirth (d) Karl Capek
20. Who was the inventor of mechanical calculator for adding numbers?
(a) Charles Babbage (b) Peano (c) Newton (d) Pascal
21. The most widely used commercial programming computer language is
(a) BASIC (b) COBOL (c) FORTRAN (d) PASCAL
Ans (b) Cobol is abbreviated term for Common Business Oriented Language. It is high level programme language designed to assist the task of programs by enabling them to write programme in more simple manner
22.The brain of a computer is
(a) CPU (b) CD (c) Floppy disc (d) Megabyte
Ans (A) CPU is abbreviated term for Central Processing Unit. It is the principal operating part of a computer
23. Foxpro’ is
(a) a medicine (b) a disease (c) a computer language (d) an animal
24.In computer language, one kilobyte equals
(a) 1000 bytes (b) 1024 bytes (c) 100 bytes (d) 8 bytes
Ans (b) The memory of a computer is commonly expressed in terms of kilobytes
25. Which one of the following is not a programming language of a computer?
(a) BASIC (b) FORTRAN (c) LASER (d) PASCAL
26.Which of the following packages is used for composition in printing press?
(a) Lotus (b) dBase (c) Page Maker (d) Word Perfect
27. Which one of the following is not a computer language?
(a) BASIC (b) COBOL (c) LOTUS (d) FORTRAN
28. The individual within the operations group who ordinarily uses a variety of keyboard devices, is the
(a) Data Clerk (b) Keypunch Operator
(c) Data Entry Clerk (d) Computer Operator
29. An advantage of a distributed word processing network is
(a) increased number of reports handled
(b) less delay in inter-office communications
(c) greater corporate control over outputs
(d) All of these
30.The retrieval of information from the computer is defined as
(a) collection of data (b) data retrieval operations
(c) output (d) data output collection
31. Which of the following terms could be used to describe the concurrent processing of computer programs via CRTs, on one computer system?
(a) Time sharing (b) On-line processing
(c) Interactive processing (d) All of these
32.The daily processing of corrections to customer accounts best exemplifies the processing mode of
(a) batch processing (b) real-time processing
(c) time-sharing (d) off-line processing
33. A characteristic of card system is
(a) slowness in processing data
(b) using cards as records of transactions
(c) needing a larger data staff
(d) All of these
34. Which of the following floppy sizes exists?
(a) 5.25 inches (b) 4.75 inches (c) 6 inches (d) 8 inches
35. MS-DOS is the name of a/an
(a) Application software (b) Hardware
(c) System software (d) None of these
36. A peripheral device used in a word processing system is
(a) Floppy disk (b) Magnetic card reader
(c) CRT (d) All of these
37. A term used interchangeably with diskette is
(a) Disk cartridge (b) Disk pack
(c) Floppy disk (d) Packette disk
38. An I/O device which provides photographic outputs for printing galleys, is the
(a) Camera printer (b) Automatic typesetter
(c) Radix printer (d) All of these
39. Which one of the following a file?
(a) Floppy disk (b) Magnetic drum (c) magnetic tape (d) None of these
40.A decimal equivalent of m second is
(a) 0.000001 sec (b) 1000000 sec (c) 0.001 sec (d) 1000 sec
41. A characteristic of the ASCII code is
(a) its limitation to a maximum of 96 character configuration
(b) its use of the zone codes 1010, 1011 and 1100
(c) its independence from Hollerith code
(d) All of these
42. A temporary storage area, attached to the CPU, for I/O operations, is a
(a) Channel (b) Buffer (c) Register (d) Core
43. The computer code for interchange of information between terminals is
(a) ASCII (b) BCD (c) BCDIC (d) Hollerith
44. ROM is composed of
(a) Magnetic cores (b) Micro-processors
(c) Photoelectric cells (d) Floppy disks
45. Which of the following is true?
(a) Plotters are not available for microcomputer systems
(b) Micro-computer are not programmed like conventional computers
(c) Mini-computers are task-oriented
(d) The contents of ROM are easily changed
46. Magnetic disk a medium known as
(a) Serial access (b) Direct access (c) Sequential access (d) Sequential and rotational access
47. A dot-matrix printer
(a) is an input-output device (b) is an output device only
(c) is an input device only (d) None of these
48.An octal number 237 is equal to the binary number
(a) 010 011 111 (b) 010 111 011
(c) 011 101 101 (d) 011 000 001
49. A term associated with the comparison of processing speed is
(a) FFTS (b) MPG (c) MIPS (d) CPS
50. The maximum size of a memory addressed by 12 bits is
(a) 1 K bytes (b) 16 K bytes (c) 32 K bytes (d) 4 K bytes
(Disclaimer, I Found them on internet (while searching) and publishing them on my blog also to help the world)